Best Wi-Fi Routers for the Home
If you’re having problems with your network, such as weak signal strength that causes buffering when you’re trying to watch videos, replacing your router with a newer, more powerful model might be an effective solution. Upgrading your router could give you several benefits:
- Faster speeds
More devices connected at once
Versatile new features
- If you are unsure about whether it’s time to upgrade, here are some factors to consider:
How old is your current router?
Several new technologies have emerged in the past 2 or 3 years that could give you better, faster performance. If your router is more than a few years old, it might be time to upgrade to take advantage of this new tech.
Did you buy your own router, or did you get one from your service provider as a part of your Internet package?
When you signed up for your Internet service plan, a technician likely came to your home to set it up for the first time. You were probably given both a modem and a router at that time.
The router you got from your service provider might be outdated or underpowered, so purchasing your own may be a better option than continuing to use the one that came with your Internet plan.
How many devices does your network support?
If you were asked to count the devices connected to your network, you’d probably think about your computers right away. What many people don’t realize, however, is that the connected devices don’t end there. In fact, the average household has 7 or more, and all of them are sharing the same network
Connected devices include smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, smart TVs, streaming media players, home automation devices and more, and every family member probably has several of his or her own devices. With so many devices connected at once, your router is doing an incredible amount of heavy lifting.
What do you want your connected devices to do?
Some activities require more bandwidth than others. For example, if you plan on streaming movies in 4K resolution, you are going to use substantially more bandwidth than someone who is simply surfing the Internet. If you have one family member streaming Ultra HD movies in one room and another family member playing online games in another at the same time, you might need a high-performance router to prevent lag and buffering.
Google Wifi system (set of 3) - Router replacement for whole home coverage
3 used from $ 250.00
- A new type of connected system for seamless Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home, helping eliminate dead zones and buffering
- Replaces your current router, and works your modem and internet service. It's compatible with major internet service providers including Comcast, Time Warner, and Verizon Fios
- A single Wifi point covers up to 1,500 sq. ft, a set of three covers homes up to 4,500 sq. ft. Wifi points work together so you can add more if you need additional coverage
- Network Assist technology keeps your connection fast by always selecting the clearest channel and fastest band for your devices
- A simple app gets you set up quickly and allows you to see what's connected, prioritize devices, and pause the Wi-Fi on kids' devices
Enjoy a fast signal in every room, on every device. Google Wi-Fi is a new type of connected system that replaces your router for seamless coverage throughout your home.
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router (R6700)
27 used from $ 79.93
- AC1750 Wi-Fi-450+1300 Mbps speeds and high-power external antennas. Ideal for homes with 12 or more Wi-Fi devices
- Beamforming+ improves range, boosts speed and performance for both 2.4 and 5GHz devices
- NETGEAR genie App - Enjoy more of your connected home. Now with remote access
- One USB 3.0 Port
- Beamforming+ focuses Wi-Fi signals from the wireless router to Wi-Fi devices
The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router delivers extreme Wi-Fi speed for gaming up to 1750Mbps. The Dual Core 1GHz processor boosts wireless & wired performance. High-powered amplifiers and external antennas increase range for whole-home...
TP-Link AC1200 Gigabit Wireless Wi-Fi Router (Archer C1200)
2 used from $ 97.00
- Supports 802.11ac standard - the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Simultaneous 2.4GHz 300Mbps and 5GHz 867Mbps connections for 1.2Gbps of total available bandwidth
- USB 2.0 Port - easily share a printer locally and files & media with networked devices or remotely via FTP server
- Guest Network Access provides secure Wi-Fi access for guests sharing your home or office network
- Easy network management at your fingertips with TP-LINK Tether
AC1200 Wireless WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router 1200Mbps WiFi for Smooth Entertainment The Archer C1200 creates a reliable, blazing-fast network using powerful 802.11ac WiFi technology. Now you can enjoy streaming HD video and lag-free online...
NETGEAR Orbi Home WiFi System. Up to 5000sqft AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi (RBK50) By NETGEAR [WiFi Router & Satellite]
8 used from $ 296.65
- Covers up to 5000 square feet with high performance WiFi. Get rid of WiFi boosters or extenders; this kit includes an Orbi WiFi Router and Satellite.
- Innovative Tri-band WiFi helps maximize the Internet speeds available in your home.
- Single WiFi network name provides seamless room-to-room roaming throughout your home.
- Easy setup with a single and secure WiFi network that works with your existing Internet service.
- Guest WiFi network-easily setup separate and secure Internet access for guests.
Orbi by NETGEAR is the simplest and smartest way to enjoy high-speed WiFi in every corner of your home. The Orbi WiFi system easily covers 4,000 square feet of your home with strong WiFi signals. Because Orbi uses Tri-Band WiFi, your Internet...
ASUS RT-ACRH13 Dual-Band 2x2 AC1300 Wifi 4-port Gigabit Router with USB 3.0
10 used from $ 54.30
- Dual-band AC1300 with the latest 2x2 MU-MIMO technology for combined speeds of up to 1267 Mbps
- Four external 5dBi antennas for improved Wi-Fi range and multi-device performance
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App
- Effortless router setup with the ASUSWRT web-based interface
- Integrated USB 3.0 port allows you to share external drives/flash drives with your network
Upgrade to AC Wi-Fi for your bandwidth-hungry devices with the dual-band ASUS RT-ACRH13. Phones and tablets are free to roam throughout the home thanks to four external antennas that enhance coverage and stability. Easy, intuitive setup and...
ASUS RT-AC88U Wireless-AC3100 Dual Band Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security
10 used from $ 206.54
- 1024-QAM technology - 80% faster 5 GHz at up to 2100 Mbps, 66% faster 2.4 GHz at up to 1000 Mbps
- 33% greater 2.4 GHz coverage with a 4-transmit, 4-receive (4T4R) antenna design, able to reach our widest-ever coverage up to 5000 square feet
- Expansive Connectivity Options: with exclusively has 8 x Gigabit LAN ports for up to eight Ethernet-compatible devices to connect simultaneously
- Powerful 1.4 GHz dual-core processor, Faster USB data transfers enjoy up to over 100 MB/s speed and the router download/upload speed (WAN-LAN throughput) up to 1.8 Gbps
- Smart Connect- Automatically chooses the best band available for you
Wireless-AC88U Dual-band Gigabit Router with 3100 Mbps throughput for smooth up to 4K/UHD video playback, support MU-MIMO, Ai Protection, Link aggregation with teaming ports and Smart Connect
eero Home WiFi System (Pack of 3) - Blanket Your Home in WiFi, Replaces Wireless Router and Range Extender, Gigabit Speed, WPA2 Encryption
6 used from $ 298.00
- eero is the world's best-reviewed Whole Home WiFi System that replaces your wireless router and any range extenders. No more dead zones. Now with Alexa Skills.
- Three eeros cover the typical home - we recommend one eero for every 1,000 sq. ft. Start with three and add as many as you need.
- eero stays new and gets better with regular software updates. With TrueMeshTM technology, eero is the most advanced WiFi system on the market.
- Gigabit WiFi speed capability, and advanced settings let you configure DHCP, NAT, VPN passthrough, DNS, UPnP, Port Forwarding, Static IP, and parental controls.
- Required for setup: Internet service, modem, supported Apple iOS device or Android smartphone with data connection. iOS requirements: Device running iOS 8.0 or later, Android requirements: Device running Android 4.3 or later (tablets included).
eero is the world’s first whole home WiFi system. A set of three eeros covers the typical home. They work in perfect unison to deliver hyper-fast, super-stable WiFi to every square foot. Stream video, get work done, or swipe right in any room...
TP-Link AC1900 Wireless Wi-Fi Router - Long Range, High Powered, Dual Band, Gigabit (Archer C9)
5 used from $ 79.93
- Wireless AC1900 WiFi. Supports 802.11ac, the next generation of Wi-Fi
- Stream 4K Ultra HD video and game online without lag over a clear 5GHz band while using the 2.4GHz band for everyday tasks
- Simultaneous dual band networks, 2.4GHz (600Mbps) and 5GHz (1300Mbps)
- 3 detachable high performance antennas for maximum wireless coverage and reliability
- Beamforming technology locates wireless devices to create a stronger connection
AC1900 Whole Home Coverage Wireless Wifi Router Eliminate connection issues in your home or office and get greater coverage and reliable wifi Share local media, files and printers over the included USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports Take advantage...
TP-Link N450 Wireless Wi-Fi Router, Up to 450Mbps (TL-WR940N)
3 used from $ 24.96
- Wireless N speed up to 450Mbps, ideal for bandwidth-intensive tasks like HD video streaming, VoIP, and online gaming. Not compatible with phoneline internet.
- 802.11n technology, 15x faster with 5x the range of 802.11g, Three antennas for increased coverage and stability, System Requirements - Microsoft® Windows® 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, VistaTM or Windows 7, Windows8/ 8.1/10, MAC® OS, NetWare®, UNIX® or Linux
- IP based bandwidth control allows you to determine how much bandwidth is allotted to each device, WPS button for one-touch wireless security encryption
- Parental Controls to manage Internet access on children's or employees's computers, Industry-leading 2-year warranty and unlimited 24/7 technical support.
- *450Mbps wireless speed is only for TL-WR940N V3 while the earlier version is 300Mbps.
300Mbps Wireless N Router The TL-WR940N creates a wireless network with speed of up to 300Mbps and has 4 10/100M ports to support 4 wired devices. With three omni-directional
Eero Pro Wi-Fi System (3 Eeros) - Advanced Tri-Band True Mesh Network, Gigabit Speed, Wpa2 Encryption, Replaces Wireless Router and Range Extender, Works with Alexa (2nd Generation)
- eero is the world's simplest, most-reliable WiFi System. Replacing your router and range extenders, the eero Pro WiFi System is perfect for Ethernet-wired homes or if you want the best performance.
- With the most intelligent WiFi technology and powerful hardware, this 2nd-generation WiFi system is 2x as fast as the original eero Home WiFi System (3-pack).
- Unlike other systems and traditional routers, eeros receive regular, automatic security updates. If a new threat arises, an update can be made immediately.
- Gigabit WiFi speed capability. Proprietary TrueMeshTM software. Settings: parental controls (content filtering and SafeSearch), Alexa integration, DHCP, NAT, VPN passthrough, DNS, UPnP, Port Forwarding, and Static IP.
- Required for setup: internet service, modem, supported iOS or Android smartphone with data connection. Backward compatible with 1st-generation eeros.
The ultimate Wi-Fi experience. The Pro systems comes with three eeros. Their built in Ethernet ports and powerful tri-band mesh make this system the perfect solution for work from home professionals, entertainment systems, and homes with Ethernet...
How to Choose and Use a Router
Watch the full episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA6LW9wINso General contractor Tom Silva shares his insights on the shop's most versatile portable ...