Today, Makeblock, a leading DIY and STEM education robotics construction platform, introduces its latest product — Neuron, an electronic building blocks platform for STEM education. At launch, it contains more than 30 blocks, including input, output, communication, power, and control blocks, with more in production. Offering intuitive flow-based programming and a rich array of features and functionalities, Neuron is geared toward empowering users to turn their limitless ideas into reality.
The Neuron is available in four kits for pre-order via Kickstarter starting from $39 at the Early Bird level — Explorer, Light Wizard, Science Lab, and All-in-One. Each kit contains a different set of themed blocks that can be used by educators, children, makers, and hobbyists.
“Our vision is to build an entire suite of STEM education products that can power the imagination — in-home or in the classroom”
Key Features of Neuron:
- Plug & play: Play with the Neuron gadgets with or without software.
Unique blocks: Light sensor, knob and other standard blocks are accompanied by unique blocks, such as a cold cathode, MP3, 2.4G, and camera block to expand the opportunity for out-of-the-box creation.
- Durable & simple: Children, makers of all skill levels and hobbyists can snap together blocks using Pogo Pin for durable and precise connection, which is made of durable materials.
- Magnetic Design: The magnetic design of Neuron blocks allows educators to demonstrate hands-free when teaching in front of their students.
Consistently updated platform: Through continuous blocks, as well as frequent software and teaching material updates to the platform, a steady flow of new projects can be explored and created.
- Expandable & easy to build: All Neuron blocks are compatible with the mechanical parts of Makeblock and LEGO ® bricks via connection boards.
Intuitive software: The Neuron gadgets can be controlled and/or programmed using mBlock & Neuron app (graphical and flow-based programming system) with no prior coding knowledge necessary.
- Integrated with Microsoft Cognitive Services: Features like IoT, and voice and face recognition are easy to implement with just a few taps thanks to the integration with Microsoft.
- Creative Cloud: Users can easily control their home Neuron gadgets with their mobile devices and/or tablets via WiFi by sharing on Makeblock Creative Cloud (e.g. use the pet feeder to tend to users’ pet while they’re on vacation).
Open SDK: The core Neuron protocol and library are open-source. Users can contribute custom creation as a developer.
- Idea Cards: Each kit contains several Idea Cards, providing samples and instructions to make it easier for anyone to start building.
“Our vision is to build an entire suite of STEM education products that can power the imagination — in-home or in the classroom,” said Founder & CEO of Makeblock, Jasen Wang. “Neuron fits perfectly into this, allowing makers to break rules and create without boundaries using the different components of the kits. From virtual gardening via Microsoft Cognitive Services to an IoT cat feeder, we’re excited for users to use Makeblock’s Neuron kits to create gadgets that can play a fun and functional part in their daily life.”
Makeblock’s platform offers more than 500 mechanical parts and electronic modules, software and courses. Specific products include Airblock, a modular and programmable drone that turns into a hovercraft, mBot, Makeblock’s DIY robot, and mBlock, a software based on Scratch 2.0 that is compatible with Arduino. Makeblock’s STEM education products have been integrated into more than 20,000 schools worldwide.
Founded in 2011, Makeblock is a leading DIY robotics construction and programming learning platform for makers, hobbyists, STEM learners and educators. Makeblock provides mechanical parts, easy-to-use electronic modules, graphical programming software, and courses, empowering people to turn their ideas into reality. Having delighted over 600,000 makers, students, educators in 140+ countries and still growing, Makeblock is one of the best robotics companies making a difference, with the aim to open the field to people of all skill levels.
SOURCE Makeblock Co., Ltd.