Minecraft VR Edition
Fulfilling a promise made nearly 12 months ago Microsoft Corp. has finally delivered a virtual reality version of Minecraft for the Oculus Rift headset.
The new Oculus Rift virtual reality friendly version of Minecraft comes via way of a new free update to Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition beta and will deliver what the company describes as a comfortable, engaging VR experience.
In a blog post announcing the support, Microsoft said that the Windows 10 DX11 performance has been optimized to augment the VR experience and includes a “ton of new options” on top of those previously made available for the Gear VR Edition of Minecraft.
New features are said to include innate support for keyboard and mouse, a variety of VR control options for immersive comfortable turning with the Xbox One controller, along with support for Multisample anti-aliasing (MSAA) for crisp visuals and new render distance settings that will put a powerful VR graphics card to good use.
Customization is also on offer with VR-specific options that can be tweaked to adjust comfort and rendering performance on an individual install.
To play the new version on the Oculus Rift headset, owners of Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition are required to download a custom launcher from the Oculus Store in order to play the game in VR.
The launch of Minecraft on the Oculus Rift follows the launch of the Gear VR Edition in April, which at the time we wrote could possibly be the first big virtual reality hit.
While Gear VR sales have been steady they still haven’t gone wild but Minecraft on that platform has remained a top title since it launched and it’s conceivable the same will likely occur with the Oculus Rift now it is available for that platform again.
The key to Minecraft being a hit on the Oculus Rift is that it already has a massive install base globally and while sales of Rift headsets are not massive yet the offer of a familiar, and more importantly highly popular game on the platform can only see increased interest; despite its price tag if only a small number of Minecraft players decided they want to experience the game on the Oculus Rift and don’t currently own one it’s a given that sales of the headset will increase.
You may also like:
- Top Rated VR Headsets Holiday 2016
- Top Ten Virtual Reality VR Headsets 2016
- PlayStation VR – Best Virtual Reality for Gaming Consoles
- Canbor VR Headset Perfect for Virtual Reality Movies and Games
- Top Ten 360 VR Cameras 2016
- Best VR for Cell Phones – Buying Guide
- Best Playstation VR Deals 2016
- Virtual Reality VR Headset – Holiday Gift Guide
- Oculus VR – The Future of Social Interaction
- Google’s Affordable Daydream View VR Headset
- Google Introduces Home, Pixel phones & Daydream VR
- Qualcomm Snapdragon VR Headset – Why it is phenomenal?
- Razer Blade – Ultimate VR-Ready Gaming Laptop
- Samsung Reveals Updated Gear VR with New Touchpad and USB-C Support
- Olympics Broadcast in Virtual Reality Exclusively on Samsung Gear VR
- NEW Samsung Gear VR Innovator Edition – for Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge
- Virtual Reality With Samsung Gear VR
- What is Virtual Reality?
- Best Virtual Reality Headsets 2016
Image credit: bagogames/Flickr/CC by 2.0
Source: Silicon Angle