We prepared this buying guide to help you find the best Chromebook that works for your needs. Choose among the top Chromebook laptop brands for the right balance between affordability and performance.
What are Chromebooks?
Chromebooks are laptops that have Google’s Chrome as their operating system, rather than Windows.
Chromebooks are cloud-based, meaning that a user relies on cloud services for storage such as Google Drive, Dropbox and the like. Thus Chromebooks require less storage and other resources.
Why buy a Chromebook?
The number one reason Chromebooks are very popular is that they are very affordable, so you don’t have to spend a fortune to own a laptop. Chromebook prices range between $200 – $500. Other reasons to buy a Chromebook is that they are very versatile,thin, light and easy to carry around. They are a perfect fit for those who use a laptop mostly for web browsing, and other web applications.
What to look for in a Chromebook?
- If portability is important to you, you can get a Chromebook with a screen size between 11″ – 13″ inch.
- If you do a lot of photo editing or need a larger keyboard, you can choose a Chromebook with a 14-15 inch screen. Also make sure the laptop has a memory card reader built in. It comes in handy for reading photos from your digital camera.
- Look for a model with a long battery life 8-12 hours.
- Try to get a Chromebook with at least 4GB of RAM.
- If you like to use your Chromebook as a tablet, then you can get a convertible 2 in 1 Chromebook.
What to Avoid in a Chromebook?
Avoid touchscreen Chromebooks without Google Play Support.
How much Does a Chromebook Cost?
An entry level Chromebook will cost between $200 – $300.
A premium Chromebook will cost between $400 – $500.
Top Rated Chromebooks Recommendations
- The flexible 360 Degree hinge and 12.5" full-HD touchscreen lets you use the C302 in tablet or laptop mode
- Intel Core Processor with 64GB storage and 4GB RAM for fast and efficient performance with a bright backlit illuminated keyboard
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS - an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically*, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (*Internet...
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Intel Celeron N3060, 1.6GHz, dual-core Processor
- 4 GB LPDDR3 SDRAM Memory (onboard), Intel HD Graphics 400
- 4GB DDR3L 1866 megahertz, 32GB eMMC; 12.3 inch Touchscreen Widescreen LED-LCD (2400 x 1600) display
- Bluetooth, Webcam, Media Reader, Stereo Speakers, Built-in stylus pen, 802.11a