Last Updated on March 5, 2023
Are you seeking a natural, drug-free way to enhance your overall wellness? Look no further than TENS units. These small, portable devices use electrical impulses to stimulate the nerves and provide natural pain relief. Whether you’re an athlete recovering from an injury, a busy professional with aches and pains, or someone simply looking for a way to improve your quality of life, TENS units can offer a non-invasive and drug-free solution. In this article, we will guide you through the top TENS units on the market and provide you with everything you need to know to make an informed purchase.
The 5 Best TENS Units You Can Buy Today
In this section, we’ll introduce you to the 5 best TENS units you can buy today, based on their effectiveness, ease of use, and value for money. Whether you’re a fitness enthusiast, someone with chronic pain, or just looking for ways to enhance your wellbeing, there’s a TENS unit on this list that can help you achieve your goals.
1. Therabody PowerDot 2.0 – Smart Electric Muscle Stimulator
Best TENS Unit Overall
The Therabody PowerDot 2.0 is an advanced muscle stimulation recovery device designed to reduce athlete’s recovery time, increase muscle performance, and relieve discomfort using the same technology athletic professionals and physicians use today. This sleek, lightweight electric muscle stimulator pod comes with double PowerDot pods, two sets of electrode pads, two sets of lead cables, two micro-USB charging cables, and a protective carrying case. It uses smart technology and is FDA-approved, making it a safe and effective tool for anyone looking to enhance their overall wellness.
- Advanced muscle stimulation recovery device
- Tailor treatment programs to your unique needs
- Smart connectivity with favorite fitness apps
- Comprehensive treatment library to guide your warm-up, recovery, or wellness routine
- FDA-cleared II medical device
- Includes double PowerDot pods, electrode pads, lead cables, micro-USB charging cables, and carrying case
- Track progress and monitor your body’s reaction to programs and daily activities
- Fully customizable treatment programs based on your activity and areas of discomfort
- Smart connectivity with your favorite fitness apps
- Comprehensive treatment library to guide your wellness routine
- FDA-approved and safe to use
- Track progress and monitor your body’s reaction to programs and daily activities
- Requires batteries, which need to be recharged
- Some users may find it challenging to tailor treatment programs
- Pricey compared to other TENS units on the market
|Product dimensions||2.1 x 2.1 x 0.4 inches|
|Product weight||1.6 ounces|
|Batteries||2 Lithium Ion batteries required (included)|
|FDA clearance||FDA-cleared II medical device|
|App compatibility||iOS and Android|
|Warranty||1-year limited warranty|
The Therabody PowerDot 2.0 is an excellent option for anyone looking for an advanced muscle stimulation recovery device that can be customized to their unique needs. With smart connectivity, a comprehensive treatment library, and the ability to track progress and monitor your body’s reaction to programs, this FDA-approved device is a safe and effective tool for enhancing your overall wellness. Though it is on the pricier side compared to other TENS units on the market, it offers advanced features and benefits that make it well worth the investment. Therabody is a reputable brand that also manufactures percussion therapy devices such as the Theragun, one of the best massage gun on the market.
2. HiDow XPD Dual Channel TENS EMS Unit
Best Portable TENS Unit
The HiDow XPD Dual Channel TENS EMS Unit is a pocket-sized, compact device designed to relieve muscle pain and tension using TENS and EMS technology. With its twelve different sensations, separate intensity controls, two outputs, adjustable timer, and built-in rechargeable lithium battery, this device offers users a convenient and drug-free alternative for managing discomfort and enhancing overall wellness.
- Compact design (only 3 3/8 inches long X 2 inches wide)
- 12 different sensations to relieve muscle pain and tension
- Separate intensity controls for each output
- Two outputs for targeting multiple areas at once
- Battery life indicator and backlight for easy use in any lighting
- Adjustable timer for customizable treatment sessions
- Built-in rechargeable lithium battery for portability and convenience
- Convenient, portable, and easy to use
- Drug-free alternative to manage discomfort
- Can target multiple areas at once with dual outputs
- Adjustable settings for personalized treatment
- Rechargeable battery for on-the-go use
- May not be effective for all types of pain or discomfort
- Some users may find it difficult to navigate the different settings
- May not provide immediate or lasting relief for all users
Key Specifications for HiDow XPD Dual Channel TENS EMS Unit:
|Dimensions||3 3/8 inches long X 2 inches wide|
|Output||Dual channel with separate intensity controls|
|Sensations||12 different sensations|
|Battery||Built-in rechargeable lithium battery|
|Timer||Adjustable timer for customizable treatment sessions|
|Indicator||Battery life indicator and backlight|
|Warranty||Manufacturer’s warranty included|
The HiDow XPD Dual Channel TENS EMS Unit is a portable and convenient device for managing discomfort and enhancing overall wellness. With its dual outputs, adjustable settings, and built-in rechargeable battery, it offers users a customizable and drug-free alternative to traditional pain management solutions. However, it may not be effective for all types of pain or discomfort, and some users may find it difficult to navigate the different settings.
3. iReliev Wireless TENS + EMS Therapeutic Wearable System
Best Wireless TENS Unit
The iReliev Wireless TENS + EMS Therapeutic Wearable System is an excellent solution for anyone who wants to manage their discomfort or improve their overall wellness. This wireless TENS + EMS combo unit provides targeted and controlled treatments to accelerate results. With 14 preset programs, you can choose from 7 Pain Relief, 1 Arthritis, and 6 Muscle Conditioning programs that meet your specific needs.
- Completely wireless for ease of use
- Backlit display for better visibility
- Rechargeable battery with 5-10 hours on the remote and 3-5 hours on the pods
- 80mA medical-grade output strength
- Wearable and portable
- 14 preset programs with 8 TENS programs for pain relief and 6 EMS programs for muscle conditioning
- Treatment times can be set in 5-minute increments for up to 60 minutes per session
- Wireless pod settings can be completely isolated or operated in sync with one another
- Combines two therapies in one device: TENS and EMS
- Wireless for easy and comfortable use
- Rechargeable battery eliminates the need for buying batteries
- Backlit display for better visibility in any lighting condition
- Combination of TENS and EMS therapies for maximum relief and muscle conditioning
- Portable and wearable for use on the go
- Battery life on the pods is shorter than on the remote
- Limited number of preset programs compared to other TENS units
- May not be as effective for severe or chronic pain
|Type||Wireless TENS + EMS Combo Unit|
|Programs||14 Preset Programs (7 Pain Relief, 1 Arthritis, 6 Muscle Conditioning)|
|Treatment Time||Up to 60 Minutes per Session in 5-Minute Increments|
|Output Strength||80mA Medical-Grade Output Strength|
|Battery Life||5-10 Hours on Remote, 3-5 Hours on Pods|
|Display||Backlit Display for Better Visibility|
The iReliev Wireless TENS + EMS Therapeutic Wearable System is a versatile, wearable, and portable solution for anyone looking for pain relief or muscle conditioning. The wireless aspect and rechargeable battery make it easy and convenient to use, while the combination of TENS and EMS therapies offers maximum relief and conditioning. However, its effectiveness may vary depending on the severity or chronicity of the pain.
4. Compex Sport Elite 3.0 Muscle Stimulator with TENS Kit
Best Water-Resistant TENS Unit
The Compex Sport Elite 3.0 is a versatile TENS unit designed to help you train harder and recover faster. Whether you’re a fitness enthusiast, an athlete, or someone seeking natural remedies for discomfort, this device can aid your performance and recovery before, during, or after your workouts. With up to 8 hours of stimulation and 10 programs, it is portable, compact, and water-resistant, making it an ideal companion for anyone looking to improve their quality of life.
- Water-resistant silicone sleeve protects against sweat and spills.
- Improved LCD display, center navigation button, and grip for easy use.
- Up to 8 hours of stimulation with a USB rechargeable Lithium Ion battery.
- 10 programs – 2 Warm Up, 4 Strength, 3 Recovery, 1 TENS – for versatile use.
- Can be used before, during, or after workouts to aid performance and recovery.
- Portable and compact design for use anywhere.
- Wide range of programs for different uses.
- Easy to use with an improved LCD display and center navigation button.
- Water-resistant silicone sleeve protects against sweat and spills.
- USB rechargeable Lithium Ion battery offers up to 8 hours of stimulation.
- May not be suitable for those with pacemakers or other implanted medical devices.
- May cause discomfort if used incorrectly or for extended periods.
- Some users may find the device expensive.
Key Specifications for Compex Sport Elite 3.0:
|Programs||10 (2 Warm Up, 4 Strength, 3 Recovery, 1 TENS)|
|Battery||USB rechargeable Lithium Ion|
|Stimulation time||Up to 8 hours|
|Water Resistance||Yes, with silicone sleeve|
|Dimensions||7.1 x 2.8 x 6.7 inches|
The Compex Sport Elite 3.0 is a versatile and portable TENS unit designed to help you enhance your workouts and manage discomfort. With up to 8 hours of stimulation and 10 programs, it offers a range of options for different uses. While it may not be suitable for those with pacemakers or other implanted medical devices, it is an ideal companion for anyone looking to improve their overall wellness.
5. Roscoe Medical TENS Unit and EMS Muscle Stimulator
Best Professional Grade TENS Unit
The Roscoe Medical TENS Unit and EMS machine is a powerful and versatile electrotherapy device that can help you manage discomfort and speed up your recovery. This clinical strength stimulator offers both TENS and EMS therapy, providing pain relief and muscle rehabilitation all in one machine. With four independent channels controlling up to eight pads, this TENS machine is perfect for anyone looking for a professional-grade electrotherapy device that can be used at home or in the office.
- Combo TENS EMS unit for muscle pain relief and muscle rehab
- Clinical strength stim machine from an industry leader in electrotherapy
- Provides instant pain relief for various types of discomfort
- 4-channel TENS EMS unit controls up to 8 TENS unit pads
- Can be used at home or in the office
- Provides both TENS and EMS therapy
- Easy to use with independent channels and multiple pads
- Provides instant pain relief and muscle rehabilitation
- Can be used at home or in the office
- From an industry leader in electrotherapy devices
- Some users may find the machine intimidating at first
- Pads may need to be replaced over time
- May not be suitable for those with pacemakers or other medical devices
|Channels||4 independent channels|
|Pads||Controls up to 8 TENS unit pads|
|Therapy modes||TENS and EMS therapy modes|
|Strength||Clinical strength stimulator|
|Warranty||Manufacturer’s warranty included|
|Prescription status||Was prescription, now over-the-counter|
If you’re looking for a powerful and versatile electrotherapy device that can provide both pain relief and muscle rehabilitation, the Roscoe Medical TENS Unit and EMS machine is an excellent choice. With four independent channels controlling up to eight pads, this clinical strength stimulator is perfect for anyone looking for a professional-grade TENS and EMS machine they can use at home or in the office.
Comparison of the Top 5 TENS Units
|Model||Type of Unit||Channels||Strength of Electric Stimulation||Design||Therapy Modes||Power Supply|
|Therabody PowerDot 2.0||TENS/EMS combo unit||2||Adjustable intensity levels; range of electric stimulation settings||Sleek, lightweight design; user-friendly interface||Warm-up, recovery, and wellness routines||2 Lithium Ion batteries required (included)|
|HiDow XPD Dual Channel TENS EMS||TENS/EMS combo unit||2||12 different sensations; separate intensity controls for each output||Compact, pocket-sized design; adjustable timer||Pain relief and muscle tension||Built-in rechargeable lithium battery|
|iReliev Wireless TENS + EMS||TENS/EMS combo unit||2||14 intensity levels; adjustable electric stimulation settings||Compact, wireless design with user-friendly interface||Pain relief and muscle stimulation||Built-in rechargeable lithium battery|
|Compex Sport Elite 3.0||TENS/EMS combo unit||4||20 intensity levels; customizable electric stimulation settings||Sleek, lightweight design with user-friendly interface||Warm-up, recovery, and performance enhancement||Rechargeable battery pack|
|Roscoe Medical TENS Unit||TENS unit||4||Adjustable intensity levels; range of electric stimulation settings||Compact, lightweight design with user-friendly interface||Pain relief and muscle stimulation||9-volt battery or AC adapter|
What is TENS
TENS stands for “Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation.” This is a safe, non-invasive, and drug-free way to relieve pain that has been used by Physical Therapists and Doctors for over 30 years. TENS sends low-voltage pulses to the skin to stimulate nerve fibers, which blocks the pain signal from going to your brain. It also increases natural endorphins, which are a natural pain reliever.
What is EMS
EMS stands for Electrical Muscle Stimulation. It is also called neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES). EMS uses electrical impulses to make the muscles contract. This can be used as a strength training and rehab tool, as well as for athletes who want to recover after exercising.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a TENS Unit
Various Treatment Modes for Targeted Relief
When choosing a TENS unit, it is essential to consider the different treatment modes that the device offers. Having a range of modes at your disposal allows you to customize your therapy, targeting specific areas of the body that need relief. Not all body parts will respond the same way to stimulation, so having a variety of modes to choose from can help ensure you get the best results possible. By using the right mode, you can easily adjust the stimulation type to your particular muscle or area of discomfort, helping you manage your symptoms with ease.
Adjustable Intensity Levels for Graded Control
Intensities play a significant role in TENS therapy, as they determine the strength of the electrical impulses. Therefore, it’s crucial to choose a TENS unit that allows you to adjust the intensity levels to suit your tolerance. Digital adjustments offer more precise control than dials or knobs, enabling you to fine-tune your treatment for optimal results. By finding the right level of stimulation, you can effectively manage your discomfort and improve your overall well-being.
Lightweight and Portable Design for On-the-go Use
Portability is an essential factor to consider when choosing a TENS unit, especially for individuals who are always on the move. Luckily, some devices have a small and lightweight design, making them easy to carry around. This is particularly important for people who want to use the product while working or traveling. With a portable device, you can take your therapy wherever you go, ensuring you have easy access to relief whenever you need it.
Timer and Auto Shut-off Features for Safe and Effective Use
Using your TENS unit for extended periods can cause discomfort or even injury, making a timer and auto shut-off features essential. Some devices come with preset timers, while others allow you to adjust the timer settings to suit your needs.
Moreover, most machines come with an auto shut-off feature, which turns the device off after a set period. These features help ensure that you use your TENS unit safely and effectively, reducing the risk of overstimulation and injury.
Dual Channels for Multiple Areas of Relief
TENS units with dual channels provide the flexibility to use each channel with different modes and intensities, making them an excellent choice for targeting multiple areas of the body. This feature also allows two people to use the device simultaneously, making it an excellent option for sharing. Whether you need to target different muscle groups or share the device with a friend or family member, a TENS unit with dual channels can help you achieve your therapy goals.
Consider Power Source and EMS Functionality for Optimal Performance
When choosing a TENS unit, it’s essential to consider the power source and whether the device has EMS functionality. Some devices use rechargeable batteries, while others use disposable ones. Considering how long a full charge can last and the cost of regularly replacing batteries is vital to ensure you have reliable access to therapy.
TENS units with EMS functions may help strengthen and stimulate muscles, making them ideal for rehabilitation and improving sports performance. If you plan to use your TENS unit for sports or muscle training, choosing a device that includes EMS functionality can be beneficial for optimal performance.
The ease of use is another critical factor to consider. A user-friendly device with clear instructions and easy-to-locate buttons is essential. If you struggle with technology or have trouble reading small print, consider opting for a unit with larger buttons and clearer instructions. A device that’s easy to use will save you time and frustration.
The battery life is a crucial factor when selecting a TENS unit, especially if you plan to use it frequently. Look for a device with a long-lasting battery or one that can be easily recharged. Keep in mind that some units may require specialized batteries, which can be more expensive and harder to find than standard batteries. A device with a reliable and long-lasting battery will ensure you can use your TENS unit when you need it.
Lastly, the price range is an essential factor to consider. TENS units can range from affordable to pricey, so identifying your budget is crucial. Remember that a higher price tag does not always mean a better device, so be sure to read reviews and compare features before making a purchase decision. It’s important to choose a device that’s affordable and offers the features you need.
Benefits of a TENS Unit
If you’re considering purchasing a TENS unit, you’re in for a treat! TENS units offer a host of benefits that can help you manage discomfort and enhance your overall wellness without relying on medication or other invasive treatments. These benefits are especially appealing to those who are interested in alternative therapies, natural remedies, or who simply want to improve their quality of life.
One of the most significant benefits of a TENS unit is that it can provide targeted, non-invasive relief to specific areas of the body. This makes it an excellent choice for individuals who suffer from localized discomfort or discomfort that is difficult to treat with other methods.
In addition, TENS units are very easy to use, which means you don’t need to be a medical professional to benefit from their use. You can simply apply the electrodes to the affected area and adjust the settings to suit your needs.
Another great benefit of TENS units is that they can help to improve blood flow, reduce inflammation, and increase endorphin production. These effects can help to promote healing, reduce swelling, and alleviate pain, making TENS a valuable tool for anyone looking to manage chronic pain or speed up the healing process after an injury. Furthermore, TENS units are very affordable and can be used at home, making them a convenient and cost-effective option for individuals seeking natural relief from discomfort.
How to Use a TENS Unit
Step-by-step instructions on how to use a TENS unit
Using a TENS unit may seem daunting at first, but it’s actually quite simple. To begin, make sure the device is charged and the pads are connected properly. Then, place the pads on the area of your body that is experiencing discomfort. You may need to experiment with different placements until you find the spot that feels the most effective.
Once the pads are in place, turn on the TENS unit and adjust the settings until you feel a comfortable level of stimulation. You may need to increase or decrease the intensity as needed. Keep the unit on for the recommended amount of time, usually between 20-30 minutes, and then turn it off and remove the pads.
Tips for optimizing results
There are a few things you can do to get the most out of your TENS unit. First, be sure to use it consistently and according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This will ensure that you get the best results possible.
You may also want to try using the unit in conjunction with other therapies, such as stretching or massage. For this you can use an electric massager, to help increase circulation and reduce tension in the affected area. Finally, make sure to keep the pads clean and replace them regularly to ensure optimal performance.
What to expect during treatment
During treatment, you may feel a tingling or buzzing sensation in the area where the pads are placed. This is completely normal and is a sign that the TENS unit is working. You should not experience any pain or discomfort during treatment. If you do, be sure to adjust the settings or move the pads to a different area.
After treatment, you may feel a sense of relaxation or relief from your symptoms. It’s important to remember that everyone’s experience with TENS therapy will be different, so it’s important to be patient and give the treatment time to work.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a TENS unit?
A TENS unit is a portable electronic device that uses electrical currents to stimulate nerves for therapeutic purposes.
What does a TENS unit do?
A TENS unit delivers electrical impulses to the skin through electrodes. These impulses can help relieve pain by blocking pain signals from reaching the brain and triggering the release of endorphins, which are natural painkillers.
How does a TENS unit work?
A TENS unit works by sending low-voltage electrical impulses to specific nerves via electrodes placed on the skin. The electrical impulses stimulate the nerves, which can reduce pain and promote healing.
What is a TENS unit used for?
TENS units are commonly used for pain relief, particularly for chronic pain conditions such as arthritis, back pain, and fibromyalgia. They may also be used to promote healing after surgery or injury.
What company makes the best TENS unit?
There are several reputable companies that make TENS units, including Therabody, iReliev, HiDow, Compex, Roseco, Omron, HealthmateForever, and Renpho. The best TENS unit for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
Which TENS units are FDA approved?
Many TENS units are FDA approved, including those made by Therabody, iReliev, HiDow, Compex, Roseco, and Omron. It is important to check the FDA clearance status of any TENS unit you are considering purchasing.
How do I choose a good TENS machine?
When choosing a TENS machine, consider factors such as the number of channels, intensity levels, treatment modes, portability, battery life, and price range. It is also important to read reviews and check the FDA clearance status of the device.
What is the difference between TENS and EMS units?
TENS units are designed to stimulate nerves to provide pain relief, while EMS (electrical muscle stimulation) units are designed to stimulate muscles to promote muscle growth and recovery. Some TENS units may also include EMS functions, the two types of devices have different purposes and use different types of electrical stimulation.
How do I choose a good TENS machine?
When choosing a TENS machine, consider factors such as the number of electrodes, the range of intensity levels, portability, and battery life. It’s also essential to read reviews and compare features to find a device that fits your needs and budget.
Are TENS machines worth the money?
Many people find TEN units to be worth the investment for pain relief and muscle stimulation, although the effectiveness of TENS machines varies from person to person.
Does TENS hurt?
TENS should not be painful, but rather produce a tingling sensation. If you experience any discomfort, adjust the intensity or placement of the electrodes.
Does TENS help sciatica?
TENS can provide relief for some people with sciatica, but results may vary. It’s essential to speak with your healthcare provider before starting any new treatment.
Is TENS safe?
TENS is generally safe, when used correctly. However, it’s important to follow the instructions carefully and not use the device near water or on areas of the body with reduced sensation.
Where shouldn’t you use a TENS unit?
You should avoid using TENS on areas of the body with reduced sensation, such as numb or tingling areas. You should also not use TENS on areas of the body with open wounds or rashes.
Can you use a TENS unit while pregnant?
Before using a TENS unit while pregnant, it’s best to speak with your healthcare provider first.
Can a TENS unit help build muscle?
Some TENS units have EMS functionality that may help stimulate and strengthen muscles. However, it’s important to speak with your healthcare provider before using a TENS unit for muscle building.
Do TENS units work?
TENS can provide relief for some people with pain or discomfort, but results may vary. It’s essential to speak with your healthcare provider before starting any new treatment.
Are TENS units effective?
The effectiveness of TENS units varies from person to person and depends on the condition being treated. However, many people find TENS to be an effective form of pain relief.
What does a TENS unit feel like?
A TENS unit produces a tingling or buzzing sensation on the skin, but it should not be painful. The intensity and sensation may vary depending on the individual and placement of the electrodes.
TENS units offer a safe and effective way to manage discomfort and enhance overall wellness. The various therapy modes and adjustable intensity levels make them suitable for a wide range of users, from fitness enthusiasts to seniors with lifestyle-related issues or injuries.
The recommended TENS units in this article, including the Therabody PowerDot 2.0, HiDow XPD Dual Channel TENS EMS, iReliev Wireless TENS + EMS, Compex Sport Elite 3.0, and Roscoe Medical TENS Unit, offer a range of features such as sleek design, customizable therapy modes, and rechargeable batteries.
We encourage readers to carefully consider their individual needs and preferences before purchasing a TENS unit, and to consult with a healthcare professional if necessary. With the help of a TENS unit, you can improve your quality of life and achieve greater comfort and wellness.
1. Levin MF, Hui-Chan CW. Conventional and acupuncture-like transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation excite similar afferent fibers. Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 1993;74:54–60. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
2. Radhakrishnan R, Sluka KA. Deep tissue afferents, but not cutaneous afferents, mediate TENS-induced antihyperalgesia. J. Pain. 2005;6:673–680. [PubMed] [Google Scholar] •• ‘Transcutaneous’ may be a misnomer as transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) induced anti-hyperalgesia is mediated by deep tissue afferents. Animal study showing that anesthetic applied to the skin has no effect on the analgesia produced by TENS while anesthetic within the knee joint prevents the analgesia produced by TENS.
3. Desantana JM, Da Silva LF, De Resende MA, Sluka KA. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation at both high and low frequencies activates ventrolateral periaqueductal grey to decrease mechanical hyperalgesia in arthritic rats. Neuroscience. 2009;163(4):1233–1241. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
4. DeSantana JM, Walsh DM, Vance C, Rakel BA, Sluka KA. Effectiveness of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation for treatment of hyperalgesia and pain. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2008 Dec;10(6):492-9. doi: 10.1007/s11926-008-0080-z. PMID: 19007541; PMCID: PMC2746624.
5. Vance CG, Dailey DL, Rakel BA, Sluka KA. Using TENS for pain control: the state of the evidence. Pain Manag. 2014 May;4(3):197-209. doi: 10.2217/pmt.14.13. PMID: 24953072; PMCID: PMC4186747.
Related: The Best tDCS Devices
Last update on 2023-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API