The Top 5 Best Fitness Trackers of 2023: Our Expert Reviews
Last Updated on March 15, 2023
Are you looking for the best fitness tracker to help you achieve your fitness goals in 2023? Look no further than our expert guide! With so many fitness trackers on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the one that fits your needs and lifestyle. That’s why we’ve researched and tested the top fitness trackers available today, and are proud to present our list of the top 5 best fitness trackers of 2023.
Our expert reviews will guide you through the features, pros and cons, and overall performance of each tracker, so you can make an informed decision and take your fitness journey to the next level. Let’s dive in and find the perfect fitness tracker for you!
Our Top Picks
- Best Fitness Tracker Overall: Fitbit Charge 5
- Best Fitness Tracker for Beginners: Garmin Vívomove Sport
- Best Fitness Tracker for Health Tracking: Withings ScanWatch
- Best Fitness Tracker for Stress Management: Fitbit Sense 2
- Premium Multisport Smartwatch: Polar Vantage V2
The Best Fitness Trackers You Can Buy Today
Fitbit Charge 5
Best Fitness Tracker Overall
The Fitbit Charge 5 is a powerful and versatile fitness tracker that offers a wide range of features to help you optimize your workout routine, track your heart health, manage your stress levels, and improve your overall health and well-being.
Here’s what we love about the Fitbit Charge 5:
- Daily Readiness Score: With a Fitbit Premium membership, you can access a Daily Readiness Score that tells you whether you’re ready to exercise or should focus on recovery. This helps you optimize your workout routine and prevent injury.
- Stress Management Score: The Fitbit Charge 5 also features an on-wrist EDA sensor that measures your body’s response to stress and provides a Stress Management Score. You can also use the mindfulness sessions to reduce your stress levels and improve your overall well-being.
- Heart Health Tracking: The Fitbit Charge 5 tracks your heart health with high and low heart rate notifications, as well as a compatible ECG app (available in select countries). You can also use the Health Metrics dashboard to track SpO2, heart rate variability, skin temperature variation, and more.
- Built-in GPS: With built-in GPS, you can track your real-time pace and distance during outdoor activities, and see a map of your workout route in the Fitbit app.
- Bright Color Touchscreen: The Fitbit Charge 5 features a new color touchscreen that’s two times brighter than the Charge 4 in daylight, making it easy to see your stats in any lighting conditions.
- 24/7 Heart Rate Tracking: The Fitbit Charge 5 tracks your heart rate 24/7, giving you insights into your calorie burn and helping you optimize your workouts with Active Zone Minutes.
- Sleep Tracking: The Fitbit Charge 5 provides a daily Sleep Score and graphs of your time in light, deep, and REM sleep, giving you insights into your sleep quality and helping you improve your sleep habits.
- Long Battery Life: With up to 7-day battery life, the Fitbit Charge 5 can keep up with your active lifestyle and provide you with insights and data to help you reach your health and fitness goals.
- Lightweight and has a long battery life
- Better color display with higher resolution
- Smooth initial setup
- Offers ECG and Daily Readiness Score features
- Improved touchscreen display
- No “home” button, requiring swipe or double-tap to return or access additional menus
- Subtle difference between the three brightness settings and a little too bright for dark rooms
- Data does not flow between the Fitbit app and Apple Health app.
Overall, the Fitbit Charge 5 is a great choice for anyone looking for a comprehensive fitness tracker that can help them optimize their workouts, manage their stress levels, and improve their overall health and well-being. With a wide range of features and a sleek, comfortable design, it’s a great investment in your health and fitness.Buy Fitbit Charge 5
Garmin Vívomove Sport
Best Fitness Tracker for Beginners
The Garmin Vívomove Sport is a stylish and versatile 40 mm hybrid smartwatch that combines the classic look of an analog timepiece with the convenience and functionality of a smartwatch. With a battery life of up to 5 days in smart mode and an additional day in watch mode, this watch is perfect for those who want to stay connected and track their fitness without having to constantly recharge their device.
One of the standout features of the Vívomove Sport is its extensive health monitoring capabilities. It can track your Body Battery energy levels, Pulse Ox, advanced sleep monitoring, stress tracking, and even women’s health metrics. While it is important to note that this device is not intended for medical use, it can still provide valuable insights into your overall health and wellness.
In addition to health tracking, the Vívomove Sport also connects with your paired smartphone’s GPS to track outdoor activities like walks and runs. It also includes additional activity profiles such as yoga, weight lifting, strength training, and cardio. Safety and tracking features like Incident Detection and Assistance send your live location to emergency contacts in case of an emergency.
The Vívomove Sport is not just a functional device, but a stylish one as well. With a metallic dial and accents, it’s available in colors to suit every taste and preference. The hidden touchscreen display is only visible when you need it, giving the watch a clean and classic look.
Overall, the Garmin Vívomove Sport is a great option for those who want a stylish and versatile hybrid smartwatch with advanced health monitoring capabilities and safety features. It’s a solid choice for anyone looking to track their fitness and stay connected on the go.
Key features of Garmin Vívomove Sport:
- Stylish 40 mm hybrid smartwatch with timeless analog look
- Battery life: up to 5 days in smart mode and up to an additional day in watch mode
- Smart notifications for incoming calls, text messages, calendar view and more
- Extensive health monitoring features, including Body Battery energy levels, Pulse Ox, advanced sleep monitoring, stress tracking, and women’s health tracking
- Connects with your paired smartphone’s GPS to track outdoor activities
- Safety and tracking features include Incident Detection and Assistance
- All-day activity tracking counts steps, calories, sleep and more
- Metallic dial and accents available in colors to suit every taste and preference
- Hidden touchscreen display reacts to your movements and is visible only when you need it
- Attractive design
- Accurate heart rate and step count tracking
- Motivates users to walk and exercise
- Comfortable to wear
- No subscription fee required
- Limited and unattractive watch faces
- Limited exercise options
- Sleep monitoring is weak
Best Fitness Tracker for Health Tracking
The Withings ScanWatch is a highly advanced smartwatch that offers a range of health and fitness tracking features to help you optimize your workouts and improve your overall health. This watch is perfect for fitness enthusiasts, health-conscious individuals, and anyone who wants to keep track of their health and fitness goals.
The Withings ScanWatch boasts an electrocardiogram (ECG) feature that can detect atrial fibrillation or normal heart rhythm in just 30 seconds. This feature is incredibly useful for anyone who wants to monitor their heart health and detect potential heart problems early on. Additionally, the watch offers wrist-based oximetry, which provides an on-demand oxygen saturation level (SpO2) in just 30 seconds. This feature is especially useful for people who engage in high-intensity workouts and want to monitor their oxygen levels.
The watch also offers sleep tracking, which delivers a score based on light and deep sleep cycles, sleep duration, and wake-ups. This feature is incredibly useful for people who want to optimize their sleep and ensure that they are getting the rest they need to perform at their best. Additionally, the watch has heart rate tracking capabilities that allow you to track your heart rate continuously during workouts to optimize training and monitor daily and overnight heart rate to help improve health over time.
The Withings ScanWatch is also waterproof, with water resistance up to 50m, making it a perfect watch for swimming. The watch has 24/7 activity tracking capabilities, which includes dedicated workout metrics, Fitness Level via VO₂max estimation, connected GPS, elevation, and step tracking, making it great as a running watch. The watch has a durable design, combined with a heart rate and SpO2 sensor, 3 electrodes, an altimeter, sapphire glass, and a PMOLED screen. The rechargeable battery lasts up to 30 days with normal use, and an additional 20 days in power reserve mode (time and activity tracking only). The watch also comes with a charging cable and is highly compatible with Android and Apple iOS smartphones via the free Healthmate App.
Key Features of Withings ScanWatch:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) feature for detecting atrial fibrillation or normal heart rhythm in just 30 seconds
- Sleep tracking feature that delivers a score based on light and deep sleep cycles, sleep duration, and wake-ups
- Heart rate tracking capabilities that allow you to track your heart rate continuously during workouts to optimize training and monitor daily and overnight heart rate to help improve health over time
- Wrist-based oximetry that provides on-demand oxygen saturation level (SpO2) in just 30 seconds
- Waterproof watch with water resistance up to 50m, perfect for swimming
- 24/7 activity tracking capabilities, including dedicated workout metrics, Fitness Level via VO₂max estimation, connected GPS, elevation, and step tracking, making it great as a running watch
- Durable design, combined with a heart rate and SpO2 sensor, 3 electrodes, an altimeter, sapphire glass, and a PMOLED screen
- Rechargeable battery that lasts up to 30 days with normal use, and an additional 20 days in power reserve mode (time and activity tracking only)
- Highly compatible with Android and Apple iOS smartphones via the free Healthmate App.
- Constant-on display and 24-day battery life.
- ECG and SP02 measurements in addition to heart rate, distance, and steps.
- Simple and easy-to-read display with only one knob/button to access any feature.
- Nice-looking and comfortable on the wrist.
- Easy-to-read single-hand lower dial showing the percentage of steps taken.
- No sleep score displayed on the watch, and sleep data only available on the phone app.
- No indication on the watch of the remaining battery charge until it drops below 10%, which could be inconvenient.
- No feature to have the display black-out at night, which could be distracting for some users.
Fitbit Sense 2
Best Fitness Tracker for Stress Management
Fitbit Sense 2 is the latest smartwatch from Fitbit, designed to help you manage stress, improve sleep quality and lead a healthier life. With its advanced features and health tracking capabilities, the Sense 2 is an excellent choice for anyone looking to take their fitness journey to the next level.
Key Features of the Fitbit Sense 2:
- Manage stress and live healthier: The Sense 2 comes equipped with all-day stress detection through cEDA, which measures your skin’s electrical activity to determine your body’s response to stress. It also provides you with a daily Stress Management Score, ECG app for atrial fibrillation assessment, irregular heart rhythm notifications, SpO2 monitoring, health metrics dashboard, and mindfulness content.
- Measure and improve sleep quality: The Sense 2 offers personalized Sleep Profile, daily sleep stages and Sleep Score, smart wake alarm, and do not disturb mode to help you get the best quality sleep possible.
- Enhance activity: With built-in GPS and workout intensity map, the Sense 2 helps you track your fitness activities with ease. It provides you with Daily Readiness Score, Active Zone Minutes, all-day activity tracking, and 24/7 heart rate monitoring, 40+ exercise modes and automatic exercise tracking, water resistance to 50 meters.
- Designed for all-day wear: The Sense 2 offers on-wrist Bluetooth calls, texts and phone notifications, customizable clock faces, Fitbit Pay, Amazon Alexa built-in, and Google Wallet & Maps. Its long battery life allows you to enjoy up to 12 hours with continuous GPS and up to 24 hours of charge with just 12 minutes of charging.
- Fitbit Premium membership: The Sense 2 requires a Fitbit Premium membership to access personalized insights, guidance, and support to help you achieve your fitness goals. Premium content recommendations are not available in all locales and may be in English only.
- Accurate HR monitoring during normal levels
- Good punchy colors
- GPS catches signal quickly
- Fitbit Pay is easy to set up
- Sleep tracking is reported to be good
- Inaccurate HR monitoring during exercise
- Limited functionalities of the app and watch
Overall, the Fitbit Sense 2 is an excellent smartwatch for anyone looking to improve their health and wellness. With its advanced health tracking capabilities, sleek design, and easy-to-use features, the Sense 2 is a great investment for anyone looking to take their fitness journey to the next level.Buy Fitbit Sense
Polar Vantage V2
Premium Multisport Smartwatch
The Polar Vantage V2 is a lightweight multisport smartwatch with a full aluminum body, equipped with advanced wrist-based HR tracking, GPS, ultra-long battery life, running & cycling performance tests, FuelWise, route guidance, sleep tracking, and more. It comes with training load and recovery tracking tools to help you optimize your training and avoid overtraining. The device also includes the essential smartwatch features such as music controls, weather and phone notifications.
Key Features of Polar Vantage V2:
- Lightweight premium multisport smartwatch
- Advanced wrist-based heart rate, ultra-long battery life, and built-in GPS
- Training Load Pro and Recovery Pro to optimize and personalize training and recovery
- Running and cycling performance tests to test and personalize heart rate, power and speed zones
- Leg Recovery Test to find out when your legs are recovered and ready for training
- Outdoor features such as Hill Splitter and route guidance
- Nightly Recharge and Sleep Plus Stages to measure recovery and track sleep
- FitSpark Daily Training Guide with ready-made daily on-demand workouts based on recovery status and leg recovery test results
- Smartwatch features including music controls, weather, and phone notifications
- Compatible with online sports communities such as MyFitnessPal, Endomondo, Nike+ Run Club, Strava, TrainingPeaks, Adidas Running by Runtastic, and more.
- Sleek and lightweight design
- Heart rate monitor provides accurate readings and is linked to sleep activity report
- Hill splitter feature for analyzing uphill and downhill segments
- Watt measurement provides continuous energy transfer data
- Polar Flow App offers significant improvements, allowing for segment analysis of distance, pace, HR, power, cadence, and incline
- H10 HR sensor pairing can be difficult
- Touch screen cannot be used while showering
- No GoPro pairing feature found
Comparison Of The Top Fitness Trackers
|Feature||Fitbit Charge 5||Garmin Vívomove Sport||Withings ScanWatch||Fitbit Sense 2||Polar Vantage V2|
|Display||AMOLED||Analog & OLED||PMOLED||AMOLED||LPM|
|GPS connectivity||Phone GPS only||Phone GPS only||✔️||Phone GPS only||✔️|
|Battery life (days)||7||5||30||6||40|
|Compatibility with mobile devices||✔️||✔️||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Multisport mode and workout tracking||✔️||❌||✔️||✔️||✔️|
|Design||Modern, Sleek||Classic, Stylish||Modern, Sophisticated||Modern, Sleek||Modern, Sports Watch|
Note: ✔️ indicates that the feature is available, ❌ indicates that the feature is not available, and “-” indicates that the feature is not applicable.
Other Highly Recommended Fitness Trackers
There are a variety of fitness trackers on the market, and while we have narrowed down our top picks, there are still many other options to consider. Depending on your specific fitness goals and needs, you may find that one of the following fitness trackers is a better fit for you. These trackers may not have made it to our top picks, but they are still highly recommended by experts and users alike:
- Samsung Galaxy Fit 2: The Samsung Galaxy Fit 2 is a great choice for those who want a fitness tracker that also functions as a smartwatch. It has a sleek design, long battery life, and can track a variety of activities including swimming. However, it doesn’t have built-in GPS, so you’ll need to have your phone with you to track outdoor runs or walks.
- Amazfit Bip S: The Amazfit Bip S is a budget-friendly option that still has many of the features of more expensive fitness trackers. It has built-in GPS, can track a variety of activities, and has a long battery life. However, the screen can be difficult to read in bright sunlight, and the heart rate monitor may not be as accurate as some other trackers.
- Huawei Band 6: The Huawei Band 6 is a good option for those who want a tracker with a larger screen. It has a variety of tracking features including sleep tracking, stress monitoring, and menstrual cycle tracking. However, it doesn’t have built-in GPS, and the battery life is not as long as some other trackers.
- Apple Watch SE: While the Apple Watch SE is a smartwatch first and foremost, it also has many features that make it a great fitness tracker. It has built-in GPS, can track a variety of activities, and has a heart rate monitor. However, it is more expensive than many other fitness trackers on the market, and it is only compatible with iPhones.
- Garmin Forerunner 35: The Garmin Forerunner 35 is a good option for those who want a basic fitness tracker that can also track runs. It has built-in GPS and a heart rate monitor, and can track activities such as running and cycling. However, it doesn’t have as many features as some other fitness trackers, and the design may not be as stylish as other options.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Fitness Tracker
Types of Fitness Trackers
There are several types of fitness trackers available on the market, including wristbands, smartwatches, and clip-on trackers. Wristbands are the most common and popular type, and they typically come with a range of features, including step tracking, heart rate monitoring, and sleep tracking. Smartwatches offer similar features to wristbands, but with the added benefit of a larger display and the ability to receive notifications from your phone. Clip-on trackers, on the other hand, are small and discreet, and can be attached to clothing or accessories like shoes or bags. They are ideal for those who want to track their activity without having to wear a device on their wrist.
When choosing a type of fitness tracker, it’s important to consider your personal preferences and needs. For example, if you’re someone who prefers wearing a watch and wants more advanced features, a smartwatch may be the best choice. If you’re looking for a discreet and minimalistic option, a clip-on tracker may be the way to go. Additionally, some wristbands and smartwatches come in different sizes and styles, so you can choose one that fits your wrist comfortably and matches your style.
Features to Consider
When choosing a fitness tracker, it’s important to consider the features that are most important to you. Some of the most common features include heart rate monitoring, GPS tracking, water resistance, sleep tracking, and workout tracking. Heart rate monitoring is particularly useful for those who want to monitor their heart rate during workouts and throughout the day, as it can help you stay within your target heart rate zone and avoid overexertion. GPS tracking is a great feature for runners and hikers who want to track their routes and distances accurately, while water resistance is important for swimmers and those who want to track their activity in the water.
Sleep tracking is another popular feature that can help you understand your sleep patterns and improve your overall sleep quality. Some fitness trackers also offer workout tracking, which allows you to track and monitor your performance during different types of workouts, such as running, cycling, and strength training. When choosing a fitness tracker, consider which features are most important to you and your fitness goals, and choose a tracker that offers those features.
Compatibility with Your Device
Another factor to consider when choosing a fitness tracker is compatibility with your device. Most fitness trackers are compatible with both iOS and Android devices, but it’s important to double-check before making a purchase. Some fitness trackers also require specific apps to be downloaded in order to sync data and view your activity, so make sure the app is available on your device’s app store. If you’re someone who uses multiple devices, such as a smartphone and tablet, make sure the fitness tracker you choose is compatible with all of them.
Battery Life and Charging Method
Finally, it’s important to consider the battery life and charging method of your fitness tracker. Most fitness trackers come with a rechargeable battery that lasts anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, depending on usage. Some fitness trackers also come with a proprietary charging cable, while others use standard charging cables like micro-USB or USB-C. When choosing a fitness tracker, consider how frequently you want to charge it and what type of charging cable you prefer. Additionally, some fitness trackers have a quick charging feature that allows you to get a full charge in just a few minutes, which can be a useful feature for those who are always on the go.
Tips For Getting The Most Out Of Your Fitness Tracker
If you’ve decided to invest in a fitness tracker, you’re probably wondering how to make the most out of it. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your new gadget:
- Wear it all day: To get the most accurate readings, wear your fitness tracker all day long. This will give you a complete picture of your activity level and sleep patterns.
- Set realistic goals: Set achievable goals for yourself that will motivate you to keep moving. Start small and work your way up gradually to avoid injury or burnout.
- Sync your data: Most fitness trackers come with an app that allows you to sync your data with your phone or computer. This will give you a detailed view of your progress and help you identify areas where you need to improve.
- Stay motivated: Staying motivated can be tough, but it’s essential to achieving your fitness goals. Set reminders on your phone or tracker to keep you on track and motivated.
- Use it to track your diet: Some fitness trackers allow you to log your food intake, which can help you stay on track with your diet goals. You can also use the tracker to monitor your water intake to ensure you’re getting enough fluids throughout the day.
Remember, a fitness tracker is just a tool to help you on your fitness journey. It’s up to you to use it to your advantage and make the most out of it. So, keep these tips in mind and get moving!
Frequently Asked Questions
Which fitness tracker is the most accurate?
Some of the most accurate and well-regarded options include Garmin, Fitbit, and Apple Watch. However, accuracy can depend on a variety of factors, such as the type of activity you’re doing, the quality of the sensors, and how the tracker is worn.
Is Garmin better or Fitbit?
Garmin is generally seen as a better option for serious athletes, as it offers more advanced features and metrics for things like running, cycling, and swimming. Fitbit, on the other hand, is often more popular for casual fitness enthusiasts, as it has a more user-friendly interface and a wider range of options for tracking things like sleep and overall wellness.
What is better than Fitbit?
Some alternatives to Fitbit include Garmin, Apple Watch, and Samsung Galaxy Watch. Each of these options offers excels in a certain areas, so it’s best to consider your own needs and preferences.
Is Fitbit or Apple Watch better?
Apple Watch is generally seen as a more versatile and feature-rich option, as it offers a wider range of features beyond fitness tracking, such as phone calls and messaging. Fitbit, on the other hand, is often more popular for its focus on fitness tracking and wellness metrics.
Are fitness trackers worth it?
A fitness tracker is definitely worth it as it can be a great tool for motivation and tracking progress. It can help you improve your fitness level and stay accountable to your goals.
What are the disadvantages of a fitness tracker?
Some potential disadvantages of fitness trackers can include a reliance on technology to track progress, a potential decrease in motivation once the novelty of the tracker wears off, and a risk of becoming too obsessive over data and metrics. Additionally, some people may find fitness trackers uncomfortable or inconvenient to wear, particularly during certain activities.
Should I wear my Fitbit in bed?
Wearing your Fitbit to bed can be a good way to track your sleep patterns and get a better understanding of your overall wellness.
What is the difference between a fitness tracker and a fitness watch?
The main difference between a fitness tracker and a fitness watch is that a fitness watch tends to have a wider range of features beyond fitness tracking, such as phone calls, messaging, and mobile payments. Fitness trackers, on the other hand, are generally more focused on tracking fitness metrics such as steps, heart rate, and calories burned.
Fitness trackers are an essential tool for anyone looking to monitor and improve their health and fitness. Our top picks, including the Fitbit Charge 5 and Garmin Vívomove Sport, offer a range of features to suit different needs and goals, from beginners to advanced fitness enthusiasts. Additionally, we’ve provided a list of other highly recommended fitness trackers that are worth considering, each with its own unique set of features, pros, and cons.
Whether you’re looking to track your daily steps, monitor your heart rate, or manage stress, there is a fitness tracker out there for you. By using a fitness tracker, you can set and track your fitness goals, monitor your progress, and stay motivated to achieve your targets.
So what are you waiting for? Choose the fitness tracker that best suits your needs and start tracking your fitness goals today! With regular use and commitment, you can improve your overall health and wellbeing, and live a more active and fulfilling life.
Sullivan, Alycia N, and Margie E Lachman. “Behavior Change with Fitness Technology in Sedentary Adults: A Review of the Evidence for Increasing Physical Activity.” Frontiers in public health vol. 4 289. 11 Jan. 2017, doi:10.3389/fpubh.2016.00289
Last update on 2023-03-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API