Last Updated on March 15, 2023
Are you looking for the best fitness tracker to help you track your progress during weight lifting and strength training? With so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to know which one to choose. But with the right fitness tracker, you can monitor your heart rate, track your training load, and receive feedback on your progress.
Looking for the perfect gift idea this holiday season? Try this FREE AI-powered gift-finding tool at Giftly.ai, an intuitive tool that personalizes gift suggestions based on a person's interests and your budget. Try it now, and experience the ease of finding the ideal gift in seconds!
In this article, we’ll compare some of the top fitness trackers on the market for weight lifting and strength training. We’ll take a look at their features, battery life, compatibility, and design to help you make an informed decision about which one is right for you. Whether you’re a seasoned weightlifter or just starting, having the right fitness tracker can make a significant difference in your training and progress. So, let’s dive in and find the best fitness tracker for your weight lifting needs.
The Best Fitness Tracker For Weight Lifting and Bodybuilding
To help you choose the best fitness tracker for your needs, we’ve compiled a list of the top fitness trackers on the market that are specifically designed for weight lifting and bodybuilding. These trackers offer advanced features and performance metrics that will help you track your progress and optimize your workouts.
Polar Grit X Pro
The Best Fitness Tracker For Weight Lifting Overall
The Polar Grit X Pro offers a range of features that can help weight lifters track their progress. One of the most useful features is the built-in wrist-based heart rate monitor, which provides accurate heart rate data during weight lifting sessions. This data can be used to track how hard the body is working and monitor progress over time. Additionally, the running performance test can be used to monitor progress and personalize heart rate, speed, and power zones, which can help weight lifters set goals and track progress.
The watch also features an Orthostatic Test and Recovery Pro feature that measures recovery from heart rate and heart rate variability (HRV) and gives feedback for pro-athlete level recovery. This feature can help weight lifters optimize their training routines and monitor how well their bodies are recovering from intense workouts. Additionally, the overnight recovery measurement feature can help weight lifters track their sleep behavior and understand how well they have recovered from training and other factors during the night, so that they can make optimal choices for the day ahead. Overall, the Polar Grit X Pro is an excellent fitness tracker for weight lifters who want to track their progress and optimize their training routines.
Here are some key features that make it stand out:
- Durable design with scratch-resistant sapphire glass and FKM wristbands
- MIL-STD-810G premium design, up to 100m water-resistance, and built to handle any environment
- Ultra-long battery life with up to 40 hours of training time and up to 7 days in watch mode with continuous heart rate tracking
- Wrist-based heart rate monitoring and built-in GPS with exact locations and fast fix times
- Turn-by-turn navigation powered by Komoot to keep you on the right track
- Automatic overnight recovery measurement to help you track your sleep behavior and optimize your training
- Hill Splitter for automatic uphill and downhill detection and detailed insights on every hill
- Running performance test, leg recovery test, and cycling performance test to track your progress and personalize your zones
- Orthostatic test and recovery pro for measuring your recovery from heart rate and HRV and pro-level feedback
- Phone notifications for calls, messages, and notifications customized to your preferences and compatible with both iOS and Android.
Garmin Vivoactive 4
One of the standout features of the Vivoactive 4 is its ability to track a variety of metrics, including energy levels, pulse ox, respiration, menstrual cycle, stress, sleep, estimated heart rate, hydration, and more. By monitoring these key indicators, you can gain a deeper understanding of how your body is responding to your workouts and make adjustments as needed to optimize your performance.
For weight lifters specifically, the Vivoactive 4 offers more than 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including strength training. With the ability to record all the ways you move, you can track your progress over time and set goals for yourself. The watch also provides easy-to-follow, animated workouts for cardio, strength, yoga, and Pilates, making it easy to mix up your routine and keep things interesting. And with a battery life of up to 8 days in smartwatch mode or 6 hours in GPS and music mode, you won’t have to worry about constantly recharging your watch.
The watch also offers safety and tracking features, including incident detection and assistance, which can send your real-time location to emergency contacts if needed. With all these features and more, the Garmin Vivoactive 4 is the ultimate tool for weight lifters looking to take their fitness journey to the next level.
Key Features of Garmin Vivoactive 4:
- Tracks energy levels, respiration, menstrual cycle, stress, sleep, estimated heart, hydration and more
- Download songs to your watch and connect with headphones for phone-free listening
- Over 20 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, and swimming
- Animated workouts right on your watch screen for cardio, strength, yoga, and Pilates
- Battery life of up to 8 days in smartwatch mode and up to 6 hours in GPS and music mode
- Personalize with thousands of free watch faces, apps, and widgets from the Connect IQ store
- Safety and tracking features include incident detection and assistance with real-time location sent to emergency contacts.
Apple Watch Series 7
The Apple Watch Series 7 is pretty amazing and has some fantastic features that can help you stay healthy and connected. Whether you’re a fitness enthusiast, someone who wants to stay on top of their health, or just someone who likes cool gadgets, this watch has something for you.
First off, let’s talk about the health features. The Apple Watch Series 7 has some of the most advanced health innovations yet. It can measure your blood oxygen levels, take an ECG, and even notify you of an irregular heart rhythm. It can also track your sleep and has a fall detection feature that can call for help if needed. Plus, it’s incredibly durable and swim-proof, so you can wear it all day, every day.
But that’s not all! The Apple Watch Series 7 is also an excellent fitness partner. It has advanced sensors that can track all the ways you move and measure your favorite workouts. Plus, it comes with three months of Apple Fitness+ for free! And if you’re someone who loves weight lifting and strength training, this watch can help track your progress too.
What I love most about the Apple Watch Series 7 is that it’s easily customizable. With a range of sizes and materials, and dozens of bands to choose from, you can change up your look and make it your own. Plus, it’s super easy to stay connected with Siri, send texts, make calls, and listen to music and podcasts all from your wrist.
Key Features of Apple Watch Series 7:
- Powerful health innovations, including sensors and apps to measure blood oxygen and take an ECG
- Larger, Always-On Retina display for improved visibility
- Most durable Apple Watch yet, with crack resistance, dust resistance, and swimproof design
- Faster charging for quicker use on the go
- Easily customizable with a variety of sizes, materials, bands, and watch faces to choose from
- Seamlessly compatible with other Apple devices and services, including Apple Pay, AirPods, and Mac unlock
- Advanced health features, including blood oxygen tracking, ECG, irregular heart rhythm notifications, sleep tracking, and fall detection
- Ultimate fitness partner with advanced sensors and Apple Fitness+ integration
- Stay connected with text, call, music, podcast, and Siri capabilities, as well as Emergency SOS feature
Fitbit Charge 5
The Fitbit Charge 5 can be a useful tool for weight lifters and bodybuilders, as it allows for 24/7 heart rate tracking and Active Zone Minutes, which guide you towards your desired intensity level during workouts. With this feature, you can optimize your workouts to ensure that you are getting the most out of each session.
In addition, the Daily Readiness Score can reveal if you’re ready to exercise or should focus on recovery, which can help prevent overtraining and injury. This feature requires a Fitbit Premium membership.
Furthermore, the high and low heart rate notifications and compatible ECG app can help you track your heart health, which is important for weight lifters and bodybuilders who put a lot of stress on their hearts during intense workouts. The Health Metrics dashboard, which tracks SpO2, heart rate variability, skin temperature variation, and more, can also provide valuable insights into your overall health and well-being.
Key Feature of the Fitbit Charge 5:
- Daily Readiness Score to optimize workout routine and focus on recovery
- Stress Management Score and EDA sensor for mindfulness session to improve stress levels
- Heart rate tracking with high and low heart rate notifications
- ECG app for heart health tracking (available in select countries)
- Health Metrics dashboard for tracking SpO2, heart rate variability, skin temperature variation, and more
- Built-in GPS for real-time pace and distance tracking during outdoor activity
- 24/7 heart rate tracking and Active Zone Minutes to optimize workouts
- Color touchscreen that’s two times brighter than Charge 4 in daylight
- Up to 7-day battery life for uninterrupted tracking and monitoring.
The Ticwatch E3 is a fantastic smartwatch that can take your weight lifting and strength training to the next level. It is equipped with more than 100 professional workout modes to choose from, including high-intensity interval training (HIIT), pilates, indoor cycling, mountain climbing, swimming, and ice skating. These modes enable you to monitor your real-time fitness and health data, making it an invaluable tool for achieving your strength and weightlifting goals.
The watch’s built-in GPS, barometer, and 24-hour heart rate monitoring, empowered by a more accurate sensor, enable you to track your progress and push yourself harder each time. With the Ticwatch E3, you can also track your sleep, stress, and blood oxygen saturation levels. This ensures that you are always aware of your health and can take steps to improve your overall wellness.
Moreover, the Ticwatch E3 has an Essential Mode and Battery Saving Screen that kicks in automatically when the battery percentage drops below 5 percent. This means that the watch can last up to two days on a single charge, allowing you to focus on your workouts without worrying about your watch dying on you. In summary, the Ticwatch E3 is an essential tool for weight lifters and strength trainers who want to track their progress, improve their fitness and achieve their fitness goals.
- Get real-time fitness and health data with more than 100 professional workout modes, including weight lifting and strength training.
- Monitor your heart rate, sleep, stress, and blood oxygen saturation with 24-hour monitoring and a more accurate sensor.
- Use the built-in GPS, speaker and microphone, and barometer to track your progress and stay motivated during workouts.
- Enjoy the benefit of Essential Mode and Battery Saving Screen, which kicks in automatically when the power percentage drops below 5 percent.
- The Ticwatch E3 also has a dual processor system and NFC payment, making it easier and faster to use for payment while on-the-go.
|Polar Grit X Pro
|Garmin Vivoactive 4
|Apple Watch Series 7
|Fitbit Charge 5
|Heart Rate Monitor
|Blood Oxygen Monitoring
|Training Load and Recovery
How to Choose the Best Fitness Tracker for Weight Lifting
If you’re into weight lifting, you know how important it is to track your progress and stay on top of your workouts. A fitness tracker can help you do just that, but with so many options on the market, it can be tough to know where to start. Here are some tips to help you choose the best fitness tracker for weight lifting:
- Look for a heart rate monitor: A heart rate monitor is essential for weight lifting to track your heart rate, monitor your fitness level, and determine your recovery time.
- Consider GPS: GPS is a helpful feature to track the distance, speed, and location of your workouts, especially if you enjoy outdoor workouts.
- Check for a robust battery life: Weightlifting sessions can be long, so look for a tracker with a long battery life that can last for several days or even weeks on a single charge.
- Look for training load and recovery tracking: Training load and recovery tracking features are great for weight lifters, as they provide data on your performance, recovery, and the optimal time to push your limits.
- Consider on-screen workouts: On-screen workouts are perfect for weight lifters who like to follow a structured workout routine or need guidance on their form and technique.
- Check for compatibility: Ensure that the tracker you choose is compatible with your smartphone and fitness apps to ensure easy data syncing and tracking.
- Consider design: A tracker’s design is also essential, so choose a tracker that looks great and feels comfortable to wear during your workouts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do fitness trackers work for weightlifting?
Fitness trackers can be a useful tool for tracking weightlifting workouts. However, not all fitness trackers are created equal, and some may be more accurate than others when it comes to tracking weightlifting exercises. Look for fitness trackers that offer specific weightlifting tracking features, such as counting reps and sets, tracking rest time, and estimating calorie burn during weightlifting workouts.
Does Fitbit work for weight lifting?
Yes, Fitbit can work for weightlifting. Fitbit offers a variety of fitness tracking devices with features that can help track weightlifting workouts. Look for Fitbit models that offer specific weightlifting tracking features, such as counting reps and sets, tracking rest time, and estimating calorie burn during weightlifting workouts.
What is the best fitness tracker for gym?
The best fitness tracker for the gym depends on your specific needs and preferences. Look for fitness trackers that offer specific gym-related tracking features, such as counting reps and sets, tracking rest time, and estimating calorie burn during weightlifting workouts. Our top picks for the best fitness trackers for weightlifting include the Garmin Forerunner 945, Polar Vantage V2, and Fitbit Charge 5.
How do I keep track of weight lifting?
Keeping track of weightlifting can be done using a fitness tracker that offers weightlifting-specific tracking features, such as counting reps and sets, tracking rest time, and estimating calorie burn during weightlifting workouts. Another option is to use a workout journal or mobile app to manually track weightlifting exercises and progress over time.
Does the Apple fitness app track weight lifting?
Yes, the Apple Fitness app can track weightlifting exercises. The app offers specific weightlifting tracking features, such as counting reps and sets, tracking rest time, and estimating calorie burn during weightlifting workouts. The Apple Fitness app can be used with an Apple Watch to track weightlifting exercises and progress over time.
How do I track weight lifting on my Fitbit?
Tracking weightlifting on your Fitbit can be done by selecting the weightlifting activity from the exercise menu on your Fitbit device. Some Fitbit models offer specific weightlifting tracking features, such as counting reps and sets, tracking rest time, and estimating calorie burn during weightlifting workouts. You can also use the Fitbit app to view workout history and track progress over time.
Do bodybuilders use Fitbit?
Yes, many bodybuilders use Fitbit to track their workouts and monitor their progress over time. Fitbit offers a variety of fitness tracking devices with features that can help track weightlifting workouts, such as counting reps and sets, tracking rest time, and estimating calorie burn during weightlifting workouts.
Can I wear my Fitbit on my bicep?
While Fitbit devices are designed to be worn on the wrist, some users may choose to wear their Fitbit on their bicep or upper arm. However, wearing your Fitbit on your bicep may affect the accuracy of certain tracking features, such as heart rate monitoring. It is recommended to wear your Fitbit as intended for the most accurate tracking results.
Choosing the best fitness tracker for weight lifting depends on several factors, including the user’s personal preferences, budget, and specific needs. The five fitness trackers we reviewed, the Polar Grit X Pro, Garmin Vivoactive 4, Apple Watch Series 7, Fitbit Charge 5, and Ticwatch E3, all offer unique features and benefits that cater to weight lifters and fitness enthusiasts.
If GPS and heart rate monitoring are a priority, the Garmin Vivoactive 4 and Polar Grit X Pro are excellent choices. For those looking for more advanced health tracking features such as ECG and blood oxygen monitoring, the Apple Watch Series 7 and Fitbit Charge 5 are the best options. The Ticwatch E3 offers an impressive 100+ professional workout modes, making it a great choice for those who want a diverse range of exercises to choose from.
Ultimately, the best fitness tracker for weight lifting is one that fits your needs, budget, and lifestyle. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned weight lifter, investing in a fitness tracker can help you stay motivated, track your progress, and achieve your fitness goals.
Henriksen A, Haugen Mikalsen M, Woldaregay AZ, Muzny M, Hartvigsen G, Hopstock LA, Grimsgaard S. Using Fitness Trackers and Smartwatches to Measure Physical Activity in Research: Analysis of Consumer Wrist-Worn Wearables. J Med Internet Res. 2018 Mar 22;20(3):e110. doi: 10.2196/jmir.9157. PMID: 29567635; PMCID: PMC5887043.
Last update on 2023-12-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API